Day 1: Drive to Hamed Ela
After having a breakfast you will drive to Hamed Ela (180 Km from Mekelle) via Berehaile. On arrival at Berehaile, you will pick up mandatory police, scouts, road guides, and permits for the Afar region. On your way you will notice striking changes in scenery as you drop from 2,220 elevation to below sea level, the Dankile depression begins here. It is one of the most inhospitable regions of the world, but is nonetheless spectacular, full of eye-catching colors, as in the sulphur springs. The desert has several points lying more than 100 meters (328 ft) below sea level.
En route you will see many long caravans going to the salt mines and others coming out of the Danakil with their salt loaded camels. Overnight stay camping at Hamed Ela.
Day 2: Excursion to Ragad (Asebo) and Dallol Depression, 25 km from Hamed Ela
Early in the morning after having a breakfast you will have a day trip to Ragad (Asebo), the place where the salts are mined. Observe the breaking of the salt from the ground, cutting into rectangular pieces and loading on camels.
Then you drive ahead to Dallol(116 meter below sea level, one of the lowest places in the world) and visit the difference landscape formed by volcanic activity, Dallol includes the Sulfur lake , Salt mountain, colourfull hot spring water, and Camel Caravan.
Later back to Hamed Ela. Then drive back to Mekelle. End of the tour.
$350 per person
2 days from Mekele to Mekele.
Group Size: at least 5 Pax or join our group
- vehicle latest model Toyota with Experienced English speaking driver throughout the Tour.
- All Entrance fees and licenses as per the program.
- Accommodation and all meals throughout the tour.
- Non-Alcoholic Beverages with meals as per the program and plenty bottles of water for the trip.
- Surface Transport expense with four wheel drive Land cruiser including fuel expense and drivers allowance
- Local guide service for the afar region as per the program.
- Cooking, camping equipment,
- Scout and police service in Afar Region as per the program.
- Camel and Camel tires in Afar Region as per the program.
- Experienced cook throughout of the tour as per the program.
- Government Taxes-VAT.
- For the duration of the trip we are responsible for all meals, waters entrance fees, accommodation, security, and transportation. Duration – two days from Mekele to Mekele.
Danakil Depression (Dallol & Earta ale) security is a safe area. Mobile coverage is now available in the camping site of Hamed Ela village, Dallol area and on the road between Hamed Ela to Erta ale volcano. Tours travel in convoy and it is prerequisite to have security (Soldiers, & local Militants) when visiting the Danakil.